Thursday, October 25, 2012

Interlocking Seasons Quilt

Dear Hubby tried taking several different pictures--inside mostly, but  they just didn't turn out.  He wanted to hang it from monster paper clip things off of nails mounted on deck rail--NO!!!  Finally, he tried out over the railing and bench--think it turned out really nice and love how the rose bush was so accommodating to coordinate!!
Just love this quilt and excited to share it at Blogger's Quilt Festival!  When first seeing the Interlocking Seasons block tutorial on The Parfait Cafe  (http://theparfaitcafe.com/?p=228), I just knew it was something worth trying out.  Was needing a nice block for my nephew and his sweet wife--John and Nikki wedding quilt.  I made up a sample in reds/golds/black and it was complicated at first, but so stunning. Here's the post where I tell about making the blocks and how I lined things up: http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7854712989797547840#editor/target=post;postID=7142662119301878825  After the first few, I figured out to do it assembly line style--and it really helps to re-read the instructions several times with complicated blocks.  She had some very good hints that would have saved me a lot of un-sewing!
A finished block with black triangles.  Someone commented they                                                                                            wished there were pictures of one of them, so here it is!!
A finished inner block--at one point thought about just using these and not adding the black triangles, but really love it en point!  
 Nikki sent me a sample of her red--sure glad she did as it was more on the marroon scale.  It was so sad that I HAD to buy more fabric...HAHAHA!   Pattern uses 1.25 strips and makes up into 12.5 inch square.  I wanted a large block, so doubled it and used 2 inch strips (to double something, deduct 1/2 inch for seam allowances (.75), multiply by two (1.5), then add back in the seam allowances.  Did the same thing for all lengths and just plugged those into the chart.  My squares ended up being about 23 1/2 inches.  The inner square is beautiful alone and have lots of extras since at first I thought about making it without the black triangles putting it en point.  I'll be making runners and whatever with all the extras.  It's always fun for me to find I'm in love with new combos of colors I never thought I'd care for before!  
Showing back with funky red pieces (didn't want to buy more black and what I had wasn't big enough so added red strips from fabrics in the front)--this was quilted in four large squares made up of four blocks each.  I sewed two of the large squares together on the front by machine, then handstitched the back seam to make two long sections.  Then sewed those sections together and again stitched that long seam.  Because of shoulder problems, I can't handle a huge piece like this to machine quilt it and the quilt as you go (qayg) worked ok.

Showing whole back with the random red strips--specifically did not want it to be matchy matchy so other than making sure they would line up, I didn't care where they were as sandwiched each piece (actually as DH sandwiched and pinned each piece--he's definitely a keeper) 

It's fantastic that Amy is willing to host the quilt festival each year.  It's always full of amazing inspiration and so many opportunities to learn something new while "meeting" oodles of talented   quilters out there! Thanks so much, Amy!!! Go to her site from October 26 to November 9.  You will be amazed by the hundreds of participants there.  http://amyscreativeside.com/bloggers-quilt-festival/  For some reason, I have never figured out how to add those buttons you click on--need my daughter to fix it for me!!


It's about 94 inches square.  Decided not to add borders and very happy with that.  

33 comments:

Karen said...

Your quilt has turned out really well. I admire you for taking on the task of re-sizing it. It looks great.

quilthexle said...

What a wonderful wedding gift ! Fantastic color combination.

canuckquilter said...

Your quilt turned out beautifully! And yes, if hubby can and will sandwich and pin a quilt for you, he's a keeper!

CitricSugar said...

Stunning! I love your colour choices. And it is the rare partner that will join you in your quilting exploits. Good man.

LethargicLass said...

I adore you colour choices! Great quilt :)

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a wonderful quilt!! I love the pattern and the colours you made it in. I love the big red strips on the backing too!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Stunning block--which in turn made a stunning quilt!

straythreads said...

striking colors jsut stunning
Ann

Jennifer said...

I love the look and the color combinations in the quilt!

SaraVictorious said...

The quilt is beautiful! I've always loved interlocking shapes. Sounds like your DH is definitely a keeper! :)

Unknown said...

What an amazing wedding gift! You did a really good job on this quilt :)

Sunshine Girl said...

Wow its lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Sylvia said...

I love the color combo! Nicely done.

Heidi Grohs said...

Oh! It is WONDERFUL! I love the simplicity of the solid color with the complicated block! Very well done!!

Lisa said...

Gorgeous. Wonderful job!

Cindy said...

Wonderful colors. Love everything about it. Great job.

Mom said...

Like this a lot!

Margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Julie said...

Great quilt! HAD to buy more fabric.....love it.

Rene' said...

Wonderful quilt! Great for a wedding gift.

SewCalGal said...

What an amazing quilt. Love the design, fabrics, colors. You did a great job. This quilt will certainly be treasured by the newlyweds. And, become a wonderful heirloom quilt.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Quilting Babcia said...

This is so beautiful, you did a fantastic job with this complex pattern. Looking forward to browsing your blog a bit more later!

Η Πευκοβελόνα said...

Love your colors, and the design is amazing! Good luck!
#76

Lyanna L. said...

looks great!

Denise SA said...

I love the rich colours it looks like it is made out of velvet .

Dolly said...

It looks like you did a beautiful job. I would love for you to have included a photo of just one block, sort of a close-up, if you will.

Thanks for sharing your quilt and process. I especially appreciate the tip for doubling your cutting measurements.

Dolly said...

Wow, see.........I couldn't tell at all that it was an interlocking design. I really like this block. I can imagine it in all different kinds of fabrics. I think I'll save the block picture to my quilts file on my computer. It would even make a really cool design on a tote bag !

One other tip.....lots of people are losing the word verification. It is very difficult for us old f*rts, uh, folks !

Have a great night.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

prety quilt and quilting!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Fabulous blocks....great job!

purduepam said...

Love the block and your color choice

Lynette said...

This is absolutely beautiful! Yeah, it's marvelous on-point. Good call there. :) And isn't it funny how sometimes a quilt can make us love colors/styles we never cared for before?

Derrith said...

This quilt is so cool. I love the graphic effect of the shading and the colors!

Franziska said...

you've made a whole quilt with the block (which is on my list, too)! What a great work! Thanks for sharing!

Health is Wealth said...


Apna Showroom Baby Boys and Baby Girl's Woollen Sweaters Designer stokcings net pantyhose- Fancy - Attractive (Multicolour, 0-3 Months) night suits for cotton new born baby apna showroom
Apna Showroom Designer - Fancy - Attractive Baby Girl's Woolen Handmade Sweaters Skirts (Multicolour, 6-12 Months)
Apna Showroom Baby Night Suit for Boys (18 to 24 Months) Combo of 2 Piecewith desent Look
Apna Showroom Baby Boy's Night Suit for 12 to 18 Monthswith desent Look
Designer Baby Night Suit for 18 to 24 Months Boys or Girls Unisex | Cotton White | Apna Showroomwith desent Look
Apna Showroom Baby Girl's Cotton Night Suit for 12 to 18 Monthswith desent Look
Apna Showroom Baby Girl's Cotton Night Suit/Sleepwear for 6 to 12 Months with desent Look
Apna Showroom Baby Boy's and Girl's Night Suit for 6-12 Months Combo Set Pair of 2 (4 Pieces) with desent Look