Sunday, May 19, 2013

Grandmas' Treasures


Years ago, while living in Frankfurt, Germany, I designed this wallhanging to represent our family.
Grandmas' Orchard


My hubby's sister was an artist and after I'd raved about her graduate art show, she gifted us with a portfolio of her work. Included in it was q block print of their grandparents home. It was the basis for the home and reminds me of many times visiting there when we were first married


The hills, mountains, apple trees are reminiscent of my family's home in Washington. Many happy, happy memories of times on my grandparents' and uncle's orchards as a child and later my parents apple orchard--part of which we now live.  People in the orchard are hubby and I plus our children and my brother's in there, too.  The columns are three dimensional.


The lake and fish reflect both families as we all love fishing.  Hubby has great memories of fishing with his grandpa and I've spent many, many days fishing on lakes, rivers and the ocean with my family.


Entered this in a contest for military wives through a magazine catering to military families and was thrilled to be awarded an honorable mention.


Piece was sewn on my then brand new 1976 Pfaff.  Had lots of fun trying out what seemed like an endless variety of stitches!  It's still a good machine.



Be sure to go here to see all the wonderful quilted pieces in this spring's blogger's quilt festival:
http://amyscreativeside.com/2013/05/17/bloggers-quilt-festival-wall-hanging-quilts/

4 comments:

CitricSugar said...

What a lovely quilt!

RADDAD said...

Fun to see this again. Your talent and skill in designing and creating wonderful things that fill our home, and the homes of our children always amaze me.

Jenny said...

I like that one. It's neat that there is a story within it.

Pam said...

It's so cute!